PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Canada 3000 75M loan
View Single Post
Old 28th Oct 2001, 01:13
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

From my little perch overlooking the Canadian Airline Industry, along with a Federal Government that is so totally 'lost in space' their incompetence knows no limit.
With regards to the Canada 3000 loan guarantee...
if I were an employee at C3 it must seem great to have this reprieve. However shortlived a $75M reprieve may turn out to be.
but...
from my perspective, where I see all of this going is, when Air Canada files for bankruptcy (assuming they do that early in the new year) Prime Minister Dolittle will likely wave a taxpayers wand and miraculously AC will once again be a Crown Corp. until the good times return so he can return it to the public sector as a private company.
We all know things will play out along these lines!
So why not keep the $75M and let free enterprise take its course for both AC and C3 and TS, et al???
If only the strong survive, then so be it. It wasn't that long ago that it seemed clear and obvious to everyone in this industry that we do not have the population base to support two airlines (Canadian Airlines AND Air Canada), so why now do we find ourselves trying to support two airlines.

Will the last one to leave Canada kindly turn out the lights?