PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SOUTHEND
Thread: SOUTHEND
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2006, 07:25
Expressflight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Terminal Extension

The timescale for extending/modernising the existing terminal seems to be that upon the announcement of new routes to commence in 2007, the work will go ahead (assuming that these new routes will generate a reasonable increase in pax numbers).

Presumably if Flybe do go for SEN they will do so with a reasonable number of routes initially, say, six(?) and I presume that would be considered sufficient to proceed with the terminal expansion.

If Flybe drop out, then I suppose you could find a situation whereby just one or two routes are opened up by one or more operators, cherry-picking the best of the routes which Flybe would have flown.

Surely SEN-AMS must have potential as it would cater for the leisure, business, interlining and tour markets. Any thoughts on other likely routes and the airlines that would fly them?

I agree that the terminal modernisation should go ahead regardless, but let's face it, if no new routes are inked-in for 2007 what increase in pax would you actually be catering for? I don't think an operator on the verge of signing up is going to be put off as long as he knows that, as his SEN traffic grows, the expanded terminal will be there within 6 to 9 months.