PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss Air Force Live Fire Demo
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2006, 04:45
Ignition Override

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

KC-10 Driver:

Back in '89 I decided to stay in Interlaken for as few nights (had my own cheap room at famous Balmer's Youth Hostel/Jugendherberge! Luckily no kids or students there on May 15th), and just by chance, pedaled a rental bike on a nice paved path near the town. Central Europe, not just the Netherlands, have many nice paved bike trail networks-and very detailed maps (Stadtplan/Landkarten). Anyway, suddenly, after taxiing from hangars which were almost hidden, some Swiss Mirage jets took off over this beautiful, lush, hilly landscape. Just an idea, but don't know whether there is still a small base there.

Grindelwald, where Eastwood filmed the movie "the Eiger Sanction", is about 1 1/2 hours up into the mountains by bus. You can ride the Seilbahn (gondola/tram) across to a mountain which is right next to the infamous Eiger (climbers are "lost" every year) and walk on some easy dirt trails for a bit.

I'm envious ....good luck and have fun!
If you need a tourguide, and this is highly recommended, I only charge for daily pizza and Weizenbier per diem.