PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foiled airline bomb plan - Well Done!
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2006, 20:52
tablet_eraser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RonO

Thanks, I did think it might be a misunderstanding.

I feel I should explain the "Cricket Test". Lord Tebbit - renowned ultra Right-wing peer - suggested that one can tell if someone is truly integrated to their addopted community, especially at the second generation, by who they support at cricket or, indeed, any other sport. So, those Britons who support Pakistan are not sufficiently integrated with their home community. It's a slightly weak proposition, but I'm sure you can see why it can be considered an indicator of whether someone is adopting Britain as their home nation (especially if they've been born and raised there!).

The point about Scots and Welsh people doesn't really hold water because we are a United Kingdom and those nations (with England and Northern Ireland) are by their nature British anyway. I'm a Briton, and equally I'm an Englishman. It's up to me to choose which I describe myself as. I would no more claim that someone who identifies as Scottish doesn't conform to British culture than I'd claim the same about a Hawaiian and US culture. They're all part of the same thing.