PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - WristWatch Selection
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2006, 20:32
Ringway Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Voeni - I DO use mine when flying.... I looked for some time at several websites and many comics and shops. Eventually I decided to write my own specification and then see if I could find something to match it.
1. It needed to be easy to read in low light levels.
2. A rotating bezel, to make timing legs much easier. (Providing they are < 1 hour) which mine usually are.
Experimenting eventually proved that a dark face with light hands is easier to see in low light conditions.
I eventually found one in the Swiss Army series that met all my requirements. Cost about £80 from Watch Heaven.com. It stays within 30 seconds over 6 months and the battery last about 3 years which I replace it myself....
I was initially tempted by the ones with lots of dials, but came to the conclusion that they're almost impossible to read...especially in poor light!
My trusty old Casio Data Bank is very useful for multiple time zones, but I don't go to 'foreign' that often. And I absolutely agree that analogue is much easier to read than digital. In the race car I shared for many years, all the dials were deliberately positioned so that the pointer was at 12 'o' clock when at the correct temperature/pressure/engine speed was achieved. All could be taken in at a glance. And they were usually black faces with white pointers...