PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No new ways to get it wrong
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2006, 17:03
GlosMikeP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wader2
Happened on a Shackleton in the '70s. The elevators had been wired up pull-down push-up.

Once the very experienced pilot realised what was happening - from take-off when the aircraft pitched forward when he pulled - he flew a circuit and landed safely.

Only thing I had not thought of, and do not recall being mentioned, what happened about the pre-take-off checks? Were they done? If they were why was this not noticed?
Actually it was about 1980/1, I remember it well. The outcome of the inquiry showed that the control wires (which were clearly visible inside the fuselage) had been put on the wrong way round - because the diagrams in the APs dated from the 1940s and the Lancaster! Needless to say, the figures weren't to any reasonable standard and very easily misinterpreted.

But as you say, how did the deflections not get noted as being in the wrong sense? Someone would have been standing in the astro bubble, as I have done many times, and should have been watching!

However, there's always a funny side to aviation. As the Shack got airborne and the pilots struggled to gain control (they quickly gave up elevator control and flew on the trim tabs) and the radio nav issued the Mayday on normal RT, the rear crew member per FRCs was heard to call 8 Ops on the selected radio "Octagon, Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, this is c/s...."; to hear the standard response that would have pretty much suited any other aircraft's return "Roger, Pan zero, transport booked........WHAT!".

Lossie to Kinloss 10mins. Hardly worth recording in one's log book eh?