PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Proposed amendment of the ANO: Mode S
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2006, 16:56
Pitts2112

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Near"-Missing the Point

Folks,

I think we're really all missing the point in this. We're having the wrong argument. Most of the discussion I've seen here and in other places is about the practicality and cost of installing this in our light aircraft, with the implication that everyone has accepted that it is a done deal. I haven't seen the most fundamental question really addressed in any kind of robust manner, which is:

Where is the sound, data-driven, and solid business case which justifies the requirement of Mode S in light aircraft?

So far I haven't read anything (and, admittedly, my research is very superficial) which shows data, charts, graphs, UK accident history, and a whole shedload of facts to support this requirement at all. Until the CAA makes its case for it, I think dicussions of technical problems, cost and practicality are premature and give the CAA the impression that we're accepting we need it, we're just arguing over the cost.

The UK does not have a history of aircraft mid-airs, near-missses, or even serious separation problems which would make this an undeniable case. I simply fail to see how Mode S in a Tigermoth or PA28 addresses any safety problem because there doesn't appear to actually be one.

Am I missing something here? Are we, in fact, having the right argument and I'm just not clued in?

Pitts2112