PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - X-Plane
Thread: X-Plane
View Single Post
Old 15th Aug 2006, 16:46
Jimmy Macintosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One world,

Yes, there is dynamic scenery, you can set how much in the the menus. The weird thing is, if you set it really low you tend to get a lot of hot air balloons.

the_daddy

But it is excellent, there are some really good downloadable aircraft and they behave much better than the MS equivalent. I used to use MSFS9, but always had a problem with the extreme ends of the flight envelope, slow and high speed flight. Don't have as much of an issue with X-Plane. When I first loaded up X-Plane I used it for a couple of days (the speed sensation is great) and then thought I'll give MS a go and it seemed so gameish. So I've not loaded up MS since.

A couple of things with X-Plane, I've needed to tweak alot of settings to get it to feel right, the graphics and acceleration etc. and it is missing the (dare I say polished) feel of the MS series. Some aircraft are missing various interior views, bits of the aircraft are visible others are not when you turn your head and so on.

With regards to the scenery, buy the world database and scenery with it and you'll be amazed, it's about 60 Gb in size but it is excellent. It brings the scenery upto the MS series.

In all I prefer X-Plane, it is more flexible and feels so much better and if you fly a fast jet, it actually feels fast, the first time I tried to land the Phantom I'd used up the entire runway just as I got the wheels down! Talk about go around, bit better the second time but the runway just disappeared! went skidding through the fence on the boundary having burst two of my tyres (yep it told me they had popped)