PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Saitek X-52 joystick (look even if you hav'nt got it)
Old 15th Aug 2006, 12:33
Slopey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep - got one a year+ ago - excellent.

For LockOn/Falcon/X3 and the like - it's great. It's also pretty good for an airbus

It's completely configurable - you can set up profiles which allow up to assign keystrokes to any of the switches/buttons/hats/axis, and it has 3 modes, each of which can be "Shifted" for additional configurations - so given it's got about 30 buttons, you can assign around 180 commands to it.

It also has a clock and stopwatch built into the throttle unit, shows you what any particular key is assigned to, and you can load profiles into the stick on the fly (you navigate directories and profile files using that display also).

Precision is excellent, and it's very comfortable and well built. Never had a problem with mine at all.

I flew FS with it for a year plus. Obviously not as realistic but it doesn't make a lot of odds to be honest.

I've subsequently bought a yoke and rudder pedals,and they're not the leap forward I was expecting. The trim controls on the yoke are inadequate and the pedals are far too sensitive, you've got to whack the deadzone way way up. Compared with the real thing, they're the same shape but no great jump up over the X52 (which is also far more configurable).

All in all, two thumbs way way up.