PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair
Thread: Loganair
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2006, 23:01
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JTFC
Wouldn't fancy landing a Dornier 328 into LSI on a stormy winter's night!
Mmmm... interesting aircraft type to use in your comparison. With reference to a D328 that was in LSI recently, I am sure the crew and possibly the pax would rather not relive their 'approach'. Don't think it was stormy and it wasn't winter as well!!!

Anyway... yep plenty of moaning but there will still be people that will jump at the chance of getting into Loganair. If you join with 1000 hours plus then good chances for a quick command!

Edited to say that many of you are moaning at Loganair and that the fact that generosity has gone out the window etc. Loganair like any other airline is involved in the core business of transporting people from A to B. Their core business is not providing type ratings that are easy on the pocket. In this day and age, a traditional bond is now a luxury and not the norm that it was 5 or so years ago - I don't like the way things have turned out but hey what can we do? The industry has changed and airlines must be more cost effective and training always bleeds cash from any airline, especially for a prop airline like Loganair. The beancounters are on a winner with this scheme and who can blame them? In their eyes the outlay of cash to train someone will be offset with the payment from the candidate. Business wise it makes perfect sense however the ethics can and are being discussed at great length! I am not saying I endorse what Loganair have done but I am trying to get you to see that Loganair are simply trying to move with the times! Whether they will recruit the calibre and the quantity of individuals that they need with this scheme, remains to be seen and I am very interested to see how they do!

Lets imagine we are in Logan Towers (well not quite) in Glasgow.

Beancounter to Jim Cameron (Loganair Chief Exec)
"Jim... got a great way that will save us thousands in costs per year - I propose that we get new pilots to fund their own training.

Jim Cameron to Beancounter
"Ok - amaze me and tell me just how much do you expect to save"?

Beancounter to Jim Cameron
"Well if we have 30 new pilots in one year then that is £600,000!! "

Need I say any more...? Anyway that above exchange was intended to be humorous and slightly tongue in cheek but it must show you all how management are never going to turn down a scheme where by they save costs!

Anyway with the silly price for JET-A1... can you blame any airline to cut costs in other areas of their business?

I don't work for Logan and never have but they are a good solid grounding and if you have never flown in the Scottish islands then you don't know what your missing - R33 at LSI with a stonking WNW-NW wind sorts out the men from the boys! Night Palma anyone? ... in comparison.

My flying involves lots of island flying and whilst poling round in a low level circuit today and following country roads and coastlines which lead to short final... fun is a understatement. The skipper I was with said that it is the best fun you can have in a commercial aircraft and that anyone can fly into LHR but the highlands and islands are different.

Don't mock the SF340 or the flying - a solid grounding and one that you will look back at with fond memories in the future!

Last edited by Mister Geezer; 14th Aug 2006 at 23:37.