PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question for banner tow pilots
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2006, 22:45
R J Kinloch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banner Pick Up

Originally Posted by Shaggy Sheep Driver
Mutt describes it correctly, but perhaps one should add that the banner is laid on the ground with its leadiing edge up on the poles, and the aircraft flies towards that leading egde with the rest of the banner beyond it, so it reaches the leading edge first, picks that up, and the rest of the banner unfurls off the ground as the aircraft overflies it so the load is applied gradually - it's not applied all at once.

Don't know about odd stories, but a guy I knew (really nice guy, too) was killed in a banner pick up accident at Barton many years ago.

SSD
The few times I launched a Banner in Australia there were no poles.
The Banner was placed on the upwind side of the runway with the aircraft behind it. As the ac started it's takeoff roll towards the banner I held up the leading edge and let the tension of the rope pull it out of my hands.

The main thing to watch was the loop of the rope as it travelled towards you. If it was moving towards your side of the runway you dropped everthing and tried to escape. (The reason why you and the banner were on the upwind side)

Very hairy and very popular at Air Displays

We're obviously tougher (or stupider) in Australia