PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Two Large Bags - No Passenger
View Single Post
Old 14th Aug 2006, 15:51
spork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well thanks to Strepsils for the answer that in the UK it’s the Department of Transport with input from the CAA that have formed the rules. I guess as this happened at Newark, it will be the US equivalent, possibly the Port Authority? I’ll keep pursuing this, and eventually I will find out who to report it to.

Some more googling this afternoon has shown that a couple of years ago (post 9-11 of course) the Newark screeners were missing one in four explosives and weapons in undercover tests. In December 2004, screeners lost a fake test bomb; it wound up on a plane to Amsterdam. Apparently, for nearly a year-and-a-half, Newark Airport failed to meet a congressional deadline to electronically screen all checked luggage. Following FOUR YEARS of security breaches, on 10th March 2006 Newark airport's security chief was axed. It doesn’t say if that axe was one of the weapons they missed in their screening. (info courtesy of WCBS News Radio website)

So this, coupled with Continental Airlines failure on Friday evening, tells us what?

Thanks apaddyinuk, I will certainly be contacting Continental about various matters, especially the non-existent customer service. I suspect however, they will make light of the no-show bags. That is why I’d like to know who WILL be interested. I usually find the perpetrators of the misdeed will do anything to make you believe it wasn’t an issue. I too believe at times there is very little one can do about something, but I never let that stop me from trying.

Overall then, this episode gives us reassurance that we are in safe hands in these dangerous times. Not!