PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KJFK VOR or GPS Rwy 13L / R ( Canarsie Approach )
Old 14th Aug 2006, 15:35
misd-agin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhovsquared
misd-agin:
flying a Vref with an approved additive is done all the time for gust is it not?, yet it still may meet the requirements for stabilized approach criteria. besides w/o adequate visual reference from the MAP you have to take the missed at that point, but you can maintain a stable approach on a 3 deg GS from 1500' or 1000' either using 3x distance out or 5x GS.

I personally witnessed a lot of 'dive and drives' with a STEEP bank and that I find worrisome
you know how much time it takes to bleed of speed from your aircraft.

I know you may not be at MDA when you go missed depending on ATC clearance, also if they ask you to mantain too fast a speed say 'unable'. 13L has vasi and ALSF1 13R has VASIS and in bad wx driving in front that rwy [13L] it's lit up like Christmas when that approach is in use
I am sorry if they keep you high for a long time but looks like there's time to stabilize incrementally between the FAF and MAP ???

g'day
rhov
Always use Vref additives in all the airlines I've flown(5-7 models depending upon how you count them).

Glide slope is 300'/mile(3x not 5x).

If you're fully configured and at low power the sink rate, and pitch attitude, can be fairly impressive without accelerating.

"Steep bank"? Probably stayed within limits but seeing a large jet in a 30 degree at low altitude looks impressive.

Lights are bright on the ground and in the air if you can see them. If you can't get low enough they just light up the clouds around you...

When the weather for VOR 13l/R gets low JFK typically 'swings' the airport because go-arounds, especially during busy periods, can have a large impact on the arrival flow.