PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Search for the UK's most poorly paid PPL instructor
Old 14th Aug 2006, 09:36
Flingingwings

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMHO the hourly rate is only a small part of the problem.

Whilst Instructors should place more value in themselves, employers shoudl also do likewise

I really feel for the new guys and gals, desperate to fly and recoup some of the staggering costs and facing high competition, many companies will treat them extremely poorly and expect them to be grateful for it

It was the case when I started and it meant that after less than six months I wanted out. Not from instructing, but away from the clowns I worked for (bullying, liars, thieves, incompetent). With some experience I'm now far more selective. I'm grateful for work BUT not desperate.

Perhaps another thread could be the 'The Uk's most poorly treated Instructor'?

Agree FI's should be better paid, but there are too many looking for work for any leverage to be applied on the smaller employers. Best option is if you find a company thats not worth working for, slowly look elsewhere, and when you've gone try to advise newly qualified FI's to look elsewhere also.

When the lower end of the companies realise that they need FI's and a ready stream of slaves are no longer willing to work (in the loosest sense) for them, these parasites will either go bust or improve their attitudes

I can't be the only one thats had to listen to some idiot explain that 'The industry can only survive this way' and 'when I started we had to eat our own clothes and were thankful if we were allowed to sweep the hangar let alone fly'. Perhaps those still living in the dark ages should return there.

I really don't miss that sort of cr@p. Its a long hard slog, but for some worth it at the end. If, one day I become CFI/CP and I'm no better feel free to form an orderly queue and give me the slapping I'll deserve