PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas confirms Jetstar may one day fly alone
Old 14th Aug 2006, 09:32
Ichiban

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From the Business Sunday Transcript 13th August.

GREEENWOOD: We've seen speculation this week that Jetstar could be floated off as a separate company, if that were even considered, is it one of those situations where you'd like the Qantas holding company to maintain a controlling interest, or would you be prepared to let Jetstar go?

DIXON: No never let — under my leadership we would never let Jetstar go without a major interest being retained by Qantas. Right at the moment, that is not a proposal, I mean that was speculation by a columnist and we usually don't comment on speculations like that but the point about it is my aim at the moment, is to make sure that Jetstar, and Qantas, are both 100 percent owned by the current holding company and that they compete aggressively in the markets that they're in. But I also want them to compete aggressively within the Qantas group for the capital that we allocate. At the moment we've announced, I think we have 65 firm orders coming for the 787's — a new generation aircraft which will be 20 percent lower cost structure than other aircraft, or equivalent aircraft, we've said the first 10 or 15 will go into Jetstar. The truth is, they'd all go into Jetstar if Jetstar was the right vehicle for it. And that's going to be the new world for Qantas.