PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uk Airport Chaos (hand wringing thread)
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2006, 19:13
spork

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronx, post #396, well said!

Also, is there any policy applicable to stoma patients (ileostomy, colostomy, etc)? Are they subject to any kind of additional security examination?
OMG – what an awful thought, but maybe there’s a loophole there…

bjcc…
Yes, I'm afraid a total ban on hand baggage is sustanable. It's very easy to do… …if for no other reason than the staffing at search areas is not suffiecent to to do both quickly.
I think we are at odds over the definition of sustainable. You seem to be inferring it means possible – not the way I interpret it. I’m not saying you are wrong, as meanings and understandings often vary. Maybe http://www.ecifm.reading.ac.uk/definitions.htm will assist in seeing how the understandings differ. My use and understanding would be along the lines of “the high house prices in the SE of England are not sustainable in the long term in view of current salary levels”. hth

thats not to say that airport authorities would not prefer to have a permanant ban on hand baggage, it is certainly something they often talked about in the mid 90's.
I do not think pax (the money supply) are remotely interested in what “authorities would not prefer”. It’s what air travellers would tolerate (and prefer) that matters here. Hence, what will turn out, in the end, to be sustainable.

Concerning what is illegal to possess in whatever jurisdiction, I don’t think this has been questioned by any posters, certainly not by me. I am definitely not in favour of items such as firearms, pepper/cs/mace sprays being on board a plane, and I can’t see posts by anyone suggesting that they are acceptable.

…the DfT wanted to make the regulations as simple as possible… …Ban everything, then there is no doubt involved
I can’t believe you are seriously saying this is the way forward. Perhaps you could clarify.

Of course, those like you didn't know the above, and just assume there is no logic to these restrictions.
Could I politely request that the inflammatory remarks cease? Presumably you are trying to provoke a response in like manner, but you won’t achieve that.

I’m just wondering who wrote post #416.

Please don’t interpret this as a personal attack, it is not. I just find your statements and logic perverse, and from many other posts here I see I am not the only one to find this.