PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Loganair
Thread: Loganair
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2006, 18:37
JTFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A hell of a lot b cks and Logan-bashing going on here and I'm not entirely sure most of it's warranted. Sure it's not the same as in the good ol' days, but tell me what airline is.

Looking at the TRS situation from a purely company perspective here, it's hard not to blame the management for carrying it out. Situation goes something along the lines of this: some foreign blokes phone up saying that they've paid for an SF340 rating and would like to work for Logan, oh yeah and p.s. we can subsidise our own line training. So Logan get the same product without the outlay of £380-ish per month and also make a nice profit out of the line training too - can't say I blame them, makes good financial sense to me. In an ideal world I'd like to see Logan giving starts to our own boys and girls, but the problem now lies with prospective employees giving Logan the oppertunity to change the goal posts.

Amber, you're absolutley right, Logan have lost a hell of a lot of line trainers - all extremely good guys, (75% a fair description), but most left due to rostering problems and a lot have gone to BMI Regional, where, guess what, the current workforce there are complaining about roster instability and threatning strike action, so as Ambulance Charlie Alpha says, the grass isn't always greener! Some of these guys would probably have left anyway perhaps. After four plus years flying the same aircraft to the same places who wouldn't want a change of scenery, if only to keep fresh or find a new challenge. I wouldn't say it was disrespectful to state that, like other TP operators in the UK, Logan is becoming a training airline for the jet boys and the migration to other companies is, as has been stated a factor of high recruitment levels of guys with multi-pilot experience.

Yup Logan-guys are working hard. Heard that some rosters are more in the line of 6 on, one off, five on, two off etc etc, with the ABZ guys working a hell of a lot harder than the 400 hrs max per year that toastal claims, (try upping that by about 50%). But lets face it, who isn't working hard. Seems it's just a sign of the times.

As for the fleet. The Saab isn't the all singing all dancing shiny new TP it could be, but for what it does and the amount of punishment it takes on the island routes, (especially in winter), it holds up pretty well. Wouldn't fancy landing a Dornier 328 into LSI on a stormy winter's night!

Anyway, rant over