PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 3
Thread: CORK - 3
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2006, 15:45
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Westcorkman, the interesting but sad thing is that the general body of people in Cork know fairly well now that there are issues about the new terminal's debt and to have even arrived at this point has been an achievement. The sad part of it from my own observations is that a lot of people look on the subject as being a mild sort of joke and have not quite grasped the point how the airport will be stitched up for a long time to come if the cost is not taken up by the crowd at the DAA bearing in mind the now infamous committement given by Minister Seamus Brennan on the matter.

What Cork folk see now is a smart, bright new terminal open and working and as the new terminal settles in for the locals with departures starting from next Tuesday my fear is that the topic may go cold. However, all is by no means lost, the question of the airbridges remains and may yet be taken up as a topic again keeping the airport as a lively subject for social and political debate!

I am not overly surprised by the Fine Gael and Labour Party disinterest in Cork Airport at their Dublin HQs. You just have to note the waffle from Fine Gael's Bernard Allen the other day in the local press looking for a grand, big Ryanair presence at Cork like there is a Shannon quickly forgetting the substantial operation Cork has all ready from EI, RE and from the European alrlines with significant services to Cork. Maybe, well intentioned by Bernie Allen and others, yes but ultimately cluess on the airport as they just don't get it unless votes at next year's General Election can be directly linked to what happens at the airport.

The lack of strong local political suport has been a weakness at Cork Airport for a long, long time more so when you compare it to the popular and political support so enjoyed by Shannon for decades and now to be up against it too from the ex Aer Rianta DAA mandarins in Dublin whom have never taken Cork seriously may just be too much for even the strongest Cork Airport supporters to deal with and overcome? To be sure it is not easy.