PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 13th Aug 2006, 06:01
Five Green

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Max Reheat
standard PANS-OPS RT prcocedures. Now if some of the respondees to your thread are unable to find or recall what is laid down in these documents then we may be led to assume that they are either bone idle (expecting to be spoon-fed; which will definately not happen here) or they are working in the wrong direction!
The argument is not that the information is not there. The argument is that it is still open to much interpretation and personal judgement of the checker and this has contributed to the current failure rate on command and JFO courses. As I have said before no Pilot takes these courses lightly and everyone puts in the work, and yet here we are.

As an aside on RT. In CAA 413 RT manual it is a requirement to use the prefix "heavy" when operating in the heavy class, it is also a requirement to call when begining your descent, when given a descent at pilot's discretion. The former is never used, and the latter is regularily left out, and this by the same people who get worked up about "Daysemal" and "Fife".

The trainers and checkers you will fly with will have the sole intention of getting you checked to the line as soon as possible, without any prejudice.
Again mostly you are correct. So maybe we can start to fix the system by agreeing on one thing. If a candidate gets put up for a chek ride on command or JFO, and passes, that pass should stand. In other words if the candidate has met all the P-file and managerial issues and the training etc is good prior to his final check then the final check should be the determining factor and not the round table. You could improve the passing rate considerably in this one improvement.

Finally, I unable entertain a train of thought that we should pass everyone in case they are one day involved in an incident, lest we fear the backlash of legal and journalistic action!
My apologies if english is your second language, but I think you are saying "..if nobody flies, nobody gets hurt.." We know from recent CX experience that even shining stars can fall victim to the pitfalls of this industry. The,"it ain't broke so lets not fix it" mentality is not going to prevent similar incidents (regardless of how the system functions) if you do not back up the checking, with: training, route familiarization and a more open culture.

So I will try the question one more time for you sir. Do you think that the current failure rate on JFO and Captain's courses is acceptable ?

Cheers

Last edited by Five Green; 16th Aug 2006 at 11:14.