PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Less ‘smoke and mirrors’ airport security; more funding for homeland security.
Old 13th Aug 2006, 04:25
Erin Brockovich

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less ‘smoke and mirrors’ airport security; more funding for homeland security.

I for one am starting to get a little worried about the sheep minded community. All I have heard in the last week is people saying that they are willing to get strip searched at the airport for up to four hours before a flight. They say that there is no alternative except not flying. I’m not sure if I have missed something but didn’t the intelligence network discover the plot “to commit mass murder”, not the airport security rent-a-cops.

I cannot see how a more painstaking yet proportionately less effective overzealous airport screening process can benefit anti terrorism. How about we recognise what measures were effective in stopping the threat and bolster those, as well as which measures are not effective and re-distribute resources accordingly.

I can see how 100m of 6ft fencing with razor wire in front of regional/remote airport terminals/sheds would deter would be aboriginal/farmer terrorists – I cannot however workout how the rest of the boundary surrounded by 1m high chicken wire would do the same. I also love the regional airports that have security guards that only work from 9 to 5, even when RPT flights still operate after these times.

Are we really that dim witted as a community and a country. I can’t totally blame the “elected” government anymore because the “people” want screening – and frankly, people are seemingly more stupid.

The only way I see a way out is to start becoming a more self sufficient country. We have the resources, we have the brains. What we don’t have is a spine.