PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 23:54
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tecumse
I don’t understand why you appear to be so confused over this system – I will collate the info I have and send it to you via PM when I have time later this week – perhaps when we agree we have a full understanding of this system we can enlighten the other readers rather than confuse them as is no doubt happening now (I hope that this was not your intention - as others have done in regard to so many aspects of this flight such as local weather, flight plan, etc etc etc).
Just a few points now off the top of my head:
Have you found out what bus was used in HC2 Chinooks?;
Are you intending to find out details of the fit in HC2s in 1995?;
47Ds upon which the HC2 was based were designed to accommodate this very system (check their specs) – are you saying that the RAF would have had this capability removed for the HC2 only to have to go through the process you describe to get them in by 1995?;
The 1994 contemporary PRC112 (the ground equipment) did not have embedded GPS – you are confused with the later variants – it was a communicator which could transpond as a UHF DME so that a/c equipped with ARS6 interrogator could home in for rescue/ extraction – later models could transmit GPS cords;
The azimuth homing function was only very approximate (+/- 4deg) – that’s all you’d need to compliment the accurate range – the tiny UHF antenna would not need to have great lateral separation and, while performance with them mounted externally would obviously give them optimum performance, the stand alone unit within the fuselage gives adequate performance for modest range low level personnel location (ie typical helo application);
As I thought I had explained before, the ARS6 literally plugs into an intercom socket; to talk to the person on the ground with a PRC112, the pilot selects the appropriate intercom channel and his communication is through the ARS6’s UHF system – there is no interface to any other UHF a/c radio required.
That’ll have to do for now – some positive, considered feedback would be much appreciated.
ABIW
I suggest you read my recent posts properly – I came here for that specific information.