PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transafrik - all you need to know about it (threads merged)
Old 18th Jan 2001, 00:14
Brat

Smile

JJ, passed through Luanda a couple of times a little while ago. Sat and watched those guys shuttling in and out. V interesting operation, aircraft very basic and stripped down to the essentials. Their landing procedure out in the field I gather slightly unorthodox tight spiral down gear and flaps out throttled back, something to do with unfriendly airport neighbors, can't be noise restrictions surely?
Money quite good but you earn it. Pilots, quite a lot of locals but I gather pretty good hands. Friend of mine, FE showed me the wheel well on his plane where they had had a stowaway, bit messy and they weren't bothering to clean it, quick turnaround you know.
The fuel tanker was the most inelegant 72 I have ever seen but then hauling fuel around in the back what can you expect. Three little seats at the back I gather the crew can sell to the highest bidder, they get to watch you use the bucket.
Lots and lots of Russian aircraft around and some of the drivers are a little crude on their procedures/RT/English/nav. We were held up by some lost soul who couldn't speak English didn't know where he was other than the immediate vicinity of the airfield which was covered in rain and low cloud and was depending on a young boy to translate and do hi RT. His son I later learned. Now that what I call learning at your fathers knee.
Various disgruntled gentlemen are said to be in vicinity of airport possesing missiles. They missed us thank the Lord and no I didn't really like the hotel or the nightstop. Beer was O.K. though and I hope you like your maidens dusky. Does it sound like I was impressed, not really but then I've done that been there and thank God I hope I never have to do that sort of crap ever again, but then who can tell fate moves in mysterious ways.