PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uk Airport Chaos (hand wringing thread)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 21:41
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final 3 Greens

No, the Globalisation bit didn't pass me by. My Brother in law is in the IT buisness, and has the same restrictions as you, and other businessmen have. He's over the moon. It means he can sit at home and do his job. Something he's been advocating for years, in otherwords exactly what the internet and global communications was supposed to achieve.

No one is preventing you from taking your laptop with you, all that is being done is you are being made to take it in the hold. Yes, I agree thats a risk, it may not be there when you pick up your baggage. Thats a different point, and one where I'd agree something should have been done a long time ago to prevent thefts from baggage. In spite of well publisised operations against baggage thefts they still happen. There are ways of stopping it, but that would be seen as oppresive and contravening human rights, and probably lead to more delays as the baggage handlers would go on strike.

Cahibahn

Yes, As I recall the DfT can make regulations regardiing baggage and passenger searches. Even if they couldn't, the airline has the right to refuse you travel, and the airport authority the right to refuse you entry airside. The result of which is that even if there were no regulation, just DfT edict, then if you did not comply with the rules, you wouldn't be able to fly.