PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uk Airport Chaos (hand wringing thread)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 20:21
bjcc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EastMids

I do not miss the point. I agree they seem to have a certain lack of logic, on the surface.

Look first at why the baggage restrictions are there. To prevent the anyone taking liquid and electrics.

By banning all hand bagagge they are preventing confusion and further delay, it's very simple just comply with it.

The reason why everything is banned is because there were previously many items which were prohibited, it didn't stop people thinking that prohibition applied to everyone except for them. This way, its easy, no one takes anything, end. No potential to take things through, less aggro for security staff, and everyone stays safe (ish). If everyone plays by the rules, the delays will ease. If they don't they wont.

The restrictions on day one, did cause delay, yes, because the first anyone knew was when they arrived at airports. Now, the same restrictions are in place, and the delays are reducing, greatly.

Now, as you and others rightly point out, its a pain. I agree, but its nothing more than that. So you can't take a lap top. Big deal, it may suprise you, but 20 or so years ago, no one took a laptop. Some people may have to be surgicaly removed from their mobile. Good! They are a blood pain, and the world would be better off with out them. Again, suprise to some, they didn't exisit some 20 years ago. And guess what, we all managed!

Yes, there are other ways of getting Europe, and I'm sure for a while, Eurotunnel will welcome the extra money. These restrictions will ease at some point though. In the meantime, just go with it. I'd rather this than the alternative.

I grant you, the return trip may not have the same protection. Well, thats life. There's sod all the UK Goverment can do about it, in respect of nion UK airlines.