PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 13:48
Max Reheat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets get this back on track

I wonder if we can get this thread back to Jett 15's initial post.
Jett, the concerns you air are all very valid and you raise questions that any sane prospective employee should wish to have answered.
My fear is that this thread has been hijacked by a couple of our collegues who, it would appear, have fallen foul of the training and checking system.
I can categorically tell you (as a training captain) that there is NO policy of discrimination between creed, colour or religion or even ability! We do discriminate, ruthlessly, against lack of effort. The problem is that a trainee may actually be working hard, but in the wrong direction! All Normal Procedures (SOPs) for each individual fleet are laid down in a book we call FCOM 3 and the Company bible is called Volume 2 part 2 which quite clearly lays out, amongst other things, standard PANS-OPS RT prcocedures. Now if some of the respondees to your thread are unable to find or recall what is laid down in these documents then we may be led to assume that they are either bone idle (expecting to be spoon-fed; which will definately not happen here) or they are working in the wrong direction!
A few people here have likened CX to the British Military, I think that you will find check (ERAS) reports objectively (and sometimes subjectively) score an individual's performance in many areas of the flight or sim. Pretty much as you would find on an officers annual confidential (fitness) report in the armed forces. My experience of exchange crews from our 'special cousins across the pond' is that the system there requires fairy tales to be written or else the reportee is considered a failure. Reading some of these posts makes me think the correspondents are a product of a system such as the one I describe.
Should you choose to join Cathay Pacific I am certain that provided you come with an open mind and a willingness to adhere to CX procedures then you will have a rewarding career. The trainers and checkers you will fly with will have the sole intention of getting you checked to the line as soon as possible, without any prejudice.
What you can be assured of is that you will fly superb aeroplanes and have the opportunity to live almost anywhere you wish so long as you are
prepared to do the commuting. We get to fly to great places with great people in great jets. Please don't listen to those who are unhappy here and would have you believe otherwise.
Finally, I unable entertain a train of thought that we should pass everyone in case they are one day involved in an incident, lest we fear the backlash of legal and journalistic action!