Thread: LHS Type Rating
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 13:11
Empty Cruise

ECON cruise, LR cruise...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

gas-chamber,

Why should people need to re-think? Hard work, sure, but nothing insurmountable. I agree that you need at least one of these, and two would be preferable:

1) solid company experience,
2) solid type experience, or
3) solid command experience

With 1500 P1 on 737, I'd say that alexban has solid command experience. And with 5000 hrs on jets, I'd say that should go a long way to making up for any lack in type experience. Others before him have leapt the 40.000 fathoms between Boeing and Bus, and many more will. Yes, they are fundamentally very different beasts, but nothing that will require any rocket science to be applied.

As for going stright to the LHS with no jet experience - well, I know of several people who have done so, and with no adverse effects. It sure wasn't the first command for any of these people, but with the proper training there is no big mystery to handling a medium jet. So once you master the difference between TP and jet, there is no more to it than moving type and operator between TPs. So while it's a steep learning curve, it is by no means insurmountable.