PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uk Airport Chaos (hand wringing thread)
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 09:38
clv101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This whole situation is a mess.

A case of deja vu here, regarding the latest terror scare:
Terror plan to shoot down plane (February 2003)
The BBC has learnt that security services received information at the start of the week about a missile attack at Heathrow. The following morning, 1,700 police officers and 450 troops were deployed to Heathrow Airport, while armed police patrolled other UK airports. An Algerian network of hardened fighters, linked to al-Qaeda, is believed to be behind the plan.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2759157.stm
I can't find any trace on the BBC website of a follow up to this. No arrests, no trials, just a big scare, and some new contracts for people making missile countermeasure equipment to be fitted to airliners...

Also note the ricin plot - with no ricin or plot, the Manchester United bombing that didn't happen and all suspect released, the Forest Gate and Stockwell shootings... the only two 'real' attacks (7/7 and the 'shoe bomber') weren't detected at all and statistically they represent no more than the historical level of danger, in fact the last few years have seen below average levels of terrorism.

I don't believe the hype surrounding the recent events for a moment. I don't believe there was any credible threat. Fundamentally I just don't believe there are dozens of prospective terrorists out there trying to blow things up - if there were things would be blowing up left, right and centre.