PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old airfields near Watford
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 05:52
Pain in the R's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used to travel to Leavesden quite often in the 70’s. Seem to remember Huntings having a DC3 parked up there for a while by the hangar south of the runway together with a Dove. What happened to all the aircraft and companies that were based there?

By comparison Handley Page Radlett was a large airfield with its 3 runways, the longest runway having a length of 6910ft. I don’t ever remember seeing a single movement from the airfield. I think Radlett closed in 1969. There are still a few signs that it was once an airfield with the hangars at Park Street still intact. Are there any Radlett built aircraft still flying?

A few old photos taken in 1973 and 2003 can be found at http://www.handleypage.com/Menu_page.html

As for Bovingdon I have an old photo of a Middle East Airlines Hermes parked at Bovingdon. Apart from being an RAF and American AF base there was a time when the airfield did take civil airliners but I guess these were mainly freighters. Bovingdon can be still seen on TV today. The opening title scene in the 60’s series The Prisoner was part filmed on Bovingdon’s runway. Also scenes for The Avengers were also filmed there.

Last edited by Pain in the R's; 12th Aug 2006 at 06:12.