PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's the culture at Cathay like?
View Single Post
Old 12th Aug 2006, 01:15
hog tied

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BusyB
Electricjetjock,
Forget 5 Greens, he's obviously got a screw loose. You'll get more info by ignoring his posts.
No, I think he has some very accurate views and great questions. This isn't a North American vs the rest of the world situation. All creeds and colors have the same artificial mountains to climb.

Only someone with a screw loose would deny the childishness of the way juniors are treated by seniors here in the form of petty harassment in the training system.

A majority of pilots here would agree with this in a private bar discussion, but certainly would not air it publicly because their career would suffer.

We all know people very close who have had their lives disrupted in some severe ways as a result of this system, and occasionally it happens at every airline. Obviously in this business there are some who won't cut it, no big surprise. There is always three sides to every story: his, hers, and the truth. It just happens here way more often, to the point that it can't just be attributed to the poor skills, study habits, publications, attitude, you name it of the individual in question.

This ain't gonna change any time soon, and it's the price you pay here to fly the shiny stuff, and have some bucks to live a reasonable life, but it isn't a required ingredient of running a safe profitable airline. In fact, it's more of a hinderance and cx prospers in spite of it.

By the way, here is a similar thread of past:http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=156059

Five Green asks about the failure rates at cx. It obviously is magnitudes higher than at any other airline. Let me get this straight: They hand pick their command trainees after picking over the multitude of training, personal and other records (that most other airlines wisely don't keep!), and almost always after jumping over many perfectly suitable candidates of higher seniority. Then said candidate gets the honor of several months of exhaustive eras evaluations (too many to count!), including three major check rides and two convened boards to evaluate the progress. How many of these hand picked people make it through? Maybe 50-60%? Pretty impressive! I hope that a good percentage of these make it through eventually, but at what cost? What percentage of captains at cx have had a command or other major failure on their record? Pretty high I would guess. God forbid cx ever has a fatal incident in these modern times. Odds are pretty high the captain will have had some pretty juicy training files the media, surviving families and their new lawyer buddies would love to get hold of. I can see the headlines now: "Captain of fatal aircraft accident had a history of failure!" Sensational airplane drama has garnered quite a bit of world attention lately, and it will only be getting worse. Meanwhile the training system at cx continues to slap its young in the head and poke them in the eyes like Larry, Curly, and Moe. The problem is that some day a real adult is going to open the proverbial door and three wide-eyed and stiff upper-lipped stooges will have a real problem on their hands.

The truth is, there are way too many people running around here with setbacks to overcome that when someone asks what the culture at cx, they should be told the truth. If it looks, smells, and tastes like it, it probably is!

Last edited by hog tied; 12th Aug 2006 at 04:41.