PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 11th Aug 2006, 23:06
con-pilot

Aviator Extraordinaire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A view from the other side of the tract so to speak on what Aeropig1 wrote about 'different airports, different rules'.

I am an international corporate pilot. I will not name airports or countries for the obvious reasons. In many countries we (corporate crew) have to go through the same security procedures as everyone else. However, some places we are lead to a side door and we and our passengers bypass the security area completely.

On one occasion a British Airways Captain, who I had drinks with a couple of nights before, saw us bypass the security area. I sent my crew on to the airplane and remained behind to wait for my passengers. Sure enough after the BA Captain came through security came up to me and informed me that if we should ever meet in a bar again the drinks would be on me.

So there are still different rules for different people. My former employer always carries a knife that exceeds the allowable limit for carry on. There have been many airports (outside the US, except for KBOS) when the security people will take his knife away from him. Then turn around and hand the knife to me. Then I will give him his knife back in front of the security personnel.

I tell them that it his airplane and if he wants to carry a M-16 on the plane he can do so. Well not literally, gun laws you know.

But, I think you get my drift. I am positive that all corporate aircraft that left the UK for the US in the last two days did so with anything the passengers wanted to carry on board. In other words, if you have the funds, use your own airplane.

However, when we corporate pilots are forced to fly the airlines there have been occasions when we are pulled aside and given extra security because we have airport IDs and "Airline Apparel". Then we have to show our licenses, business cards and still have to do a lot of explaining.

Hopefully sanity well return soon.