PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mid-air bomb plot 'a major threat
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2006, 10:50
Taildragger67

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Pass-A-Frozo
Actually.. given the pictures on the news of thousands of people in a queue to get through security. Why do the naughty people even bother trying to bomb a plane when they could just walk into the terminal and kill 5x more people in the queue.
unfortunately these people will ruin air travel for all and result in a decline in leasure travel. I for one don't mind lining up for security screening but there has to be a better way.
Your first idea - already been done - Ben Gurion Airport, Tel Aviv, May 1972.

Second idea - there is a better way: five-year validity on passports (rather than ten) and more stringent checks when you apply for one; the shorter validity means more frequent checks. Nought to hide, nought to fear from a bit of probing.

Don't like your background being looked into? Fine, you have a choice - fly and have your background looked at or don't fly and keep your background to yourself.

Now I'm not trying to stir or re-open the ASIC debate here, but how's this for logic: if airside workers need an ASIC - and so have their backgrounds checked - then it follows that others who go airside (ie. passengers) should also have their backgrounds checked. OK, punters might only go airside once in a blue moon, but a miscreant only has to get lucky once.

Yes it would cost more, but I'd pay it for peace of mind. And a seat on your NudeAir flight.

Last edited by Taildragger67; 11th Aug 2006 at 14:43.