PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Origin Pacific ceases flying
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2006, 05:07
AnzacCHC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOR and Split Flap...well said. Staff lives get thrown into turmoil not just because the 600 lb gorilla known as Air NZ makes life difficult (that's called competition), but as a result of possible ego driven mistakes (c'mon, who amongst this forum has not made that sort of mistake) and the savage airline industry environment.

Some of the issues you can legislate for, some you can't. The rules can, and do, get skewed in favour of one or a number of parties. Who was it said ..."first rule...there are no rules"? Must have been talking about the airline industry. If you want to go up against any gorilla, expect a smack or three along the way, and don't moan about it.

As an ex-OP and Air NZ (frequent) traveller, the latter gets my hard earned dollar more often (and now exclusively), as a result of a more reliable service in the first instance. Four of the last five OP flights that I have booked in the last five weeks have either been re-scheduled or cancelled.

Example..."Sorry ANZAC, that 07.00 flight you had booked has been cancelled and we have you on another service at 10.00". Sorry OP, I need to be on site at 09.30.

Example 2..."Sorry ANZAC, that 11.45 flight to CHC has been cancelled, you can choose between the 10.30 flight, or the 16.30 flight". OK, I'll take the 10.30 flight...which departed at 11.50.

Example 3..."Boarding will be at 19.00" OK, but it's now 19.45 and there's still no aircraft at the gate.

Example 4..."sorry, we do not have any flights direct to CHC ex-WLG". Oh, that's OK, send me through Nelson then, why not, it's only time and money.

Whoops, that's a passenger talking, and in the end, passengers will play a large part in determining whether or not what you have will allow you to survive, or not.