PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uk Airport Chaos (hand wringing thread)
View Single Post
Old 11th Aug 2006, 03:42
anartificialhorizon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DISCOKID
Well the no hand luggage is a fabulous idea - once people get the message security will speed up significantly and not only that loading of planes will be much quicker too - no more waiting while people try to squeeze blatantly oversized bags into the overhead lockers.
LDMAX - the reason for not allowing coke or water is that you would then be delayed even more while every single person with any sort of bottle had to open it and drink some. And if your laptop is so precious perhaps you should leave it at home... i've travelled every week with mine shoved in the middle of my suitcase no problem.
Frankly its quite unbelievable that people are complaining about these measures - the threat may not yet have been fully averted hence why you should be happy these measures are in place.
Discokid ,

You really need to look at the big picture.....

Draconian measures like this will mean shorter queues at security, smaller lines at check in and quicker boarding but not because of the lack of hand baggage BUT because people will vote with their feet by not travelling by air and seeking alternatives ie conference calls, video conferencing, holidays by car in UK / Europe...........before long the post 911 days will be back and YOU ( and me ) will be out of a job matey !!

The reason your lap top was in your case is because you probably don't need it for your work and therefore it's ok for it to be in your case....I would guess that 90% of business travellers would require or want access to their laptop and /or phone either in the lounge prior or on the flight itself............

Drinks are different , we COULD stop them being transported airside and then allow pax to purchase them airside just as we allow them to buy just about anything else airside EXCEPT the prohibited items which might well now include beverages.....

Following an incident in China where a guy set fire to the aircraft using a flammable liquid NO bottled drinks allowed on board pax carry on unless can be proven not to be flammable.......

Moral of the story , never lose sight of who is paying your wages at the end of the day