PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crop dusting job in Latin America
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2006, 20:57
Ag2A320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D,
I still hold a slot/ag-seat in the caribbean in S-2R-34/400, currently right seat A320, but the basic pay package is about $5K USD a month flying 35-50hrs on bananas, sugarcane etc, however you need a min of 2500Ag/1000 PIC turbine to even be considered for the seat,(if there was an opening);my replacement has 7000hrs Ag with 4000hrs on the -34. I fly back-up/relief when my schedule permits. Most of operators arent willing to OJT as they've lost a fair amount of aircraft, the operation i worked for preffered to train pilots and purchased a thrush with dual controls, it still took 6months to be released and up to a year for payload restrictions waived at all farms, in fact we were "carded' by the CP after a co -worker balled one up- trying to haul a full load into an area that he should only have been carrying 200 gals or less( he survived). however due to the nature of the Ag industry the operation has been downsided has 4 aircraft with 1 full time pilot and 3 on call.

The average in LatAm/Panama take home is approx 1500USD per month, with company housing and other allowances. how much time do you have and will any of the major insurance companies cover you? ie no accidents, enforcement actions, or claims. It helps if you have a A&P/IA or AME License,it might get you in. The US method of starting from scratch as a loader or Mechanic might not cut it as labour is cheap, so the " natural progression" many never occur. PM me there might be an opening in LatAm but the market is closed to most unlest you have a fair amount of experience (min 2500TT /1000Ag).

I have thought of the Dyn-Corp contract but had enough of getting shot at doing eradication in my own land, dont think i needed to push my luck in another mans country, plus Dyn-Corp wasnt sure what they wanted me for as i could have sloted to fly OV-10/Hueys/T-65. i will say this the money is good, but i lucked out an found a airline job before i had to make the choice.