PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Results of the AIS Consultation meeting Tue 8 August 2006
Old 10th Aug 2006, 19:49
Mike Cross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rustle & DP

I don't think either of you have got it particularly right.

The fact that Thales IS have been having problems indicates that it's not particularly simple. The dynamic data is changing constantly and the "static" data is subject to change through the AIRAC cycle. The whole thing has to be fully compliant with ICAO SARPS and the process has to be entirely auditable with an audit trail for all transactions and be able to serve up an average of over 1000 individual briefings a day, derived from NOTAM from nearly 100 different worldwide NOTAM offices.

In the normal course of events you would think that fixing something that is already working up to a point would be, relatively speaking, easier than starting from scratch, however that is proving not to be the case.

The core database, input/output routines and the multi-user UNIX environment in which it works is already there and the design authority for that rests with others so you can't go fiddling with it. There are complex communications feeds as well.

The people who have expertise in the data do not have expertise in the computing skills involved, and the people with computer skills who will end up doing the job have no knowledge as yet of the data structure, the requirement, or the constraints imposed on the data by international treaty.

The users range from the Airlines, Military, ATSU's, AOC Operators, Glider Pilots, Hang Gliders, Microlighters, Parachutists, Old Uncle Tom Cobbley and All, right down to the recreational pilot and the sheer bloody-minded stick in the mud who can't be @rsed to learn anything.

The professionals who were at the meeting and who take the data feed from the core database don't find it so simple that they can knock off a website in their spare time that the esteemed members of this august forum will fight to pay for.

There is no money in it from users and the budget has to be fought for and the project defined before anyone sits down and tries to code it. If you think it's easy I'd love to see you try

They did suggest I might like to design it for them. I may be stupid, but not THAT stupid.

Get a copy of ICAO Document 8126 (even that's not particularly easy) and see how you get on.

FA
Be assured the concerns are being addressed. I put together two papers based on the points raised on this and other forums. One was to do with the design and user friendliness of the site and the other was to do with the content. Both were sent to AIS in advance of the meeting and passed round the appropriate people. Some of the content issues were raised, as indicated, and are going to be discussed at the next interface meeting between AIS and AUS.

The website design issues were not of interest to British Airways, Bytron, or AvBrief because none of them use it so I did not wish to hog the time on something that was not of interest to the majority of participants. AIS are working on the suggestions made and I expect to see some changes happening over the next few months. Sorry if I did not make this clear.

Mike

Last edited by Mike Cross; 10th Aug 2006 at 20:01.