PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Dubai monthly expediture
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2006, 18:37
Outta Heresoon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet another post about housemaids...where's the budget stuff?

Schnowzer
I'm with you buddy. The others have obviously taken your input the wrong way. All of your comments have been up the middle. Keep it up.

DjSkyPimp...you must be pretty naive if you think you get protection and peace of mind going through an agency. You get equally as much using other vehicles if done properly. Just read the local papers to get an idea how many exploytive flaky companies are out there. There is even a movement to regulate the industry due to abuse. If you approach it properly you will have just the same security as not going through one (this is not bashing agencies by the way, there are some good ones, just pointing out fact). You will also recieve all the same protections (these are covered by the local laws) and documents, if you ask, during the (same as agency) interview.

The whole point from many of the posts was about skimping on the pay and treatment of the final individual. Like bargain shopping at the grocery store. If you tell fellow lurkers here "this" is the way it's done and "this" is how much it costs, they may come with a slightly unrealistic view of "real" costs and other various options.
Also (to put the shoe on the other foot -referencing DjSkyPimp's comment about the housemaids "agreeing" to the wage an agency offers them) remember that many of the posters on PPRUNE here agreed to the terms of service at their current employers but for various reasons but seem less than enthusiastic now. Not necessarily through any fault of their own. As I've seen many times, some just need to get out of where they are now (current job or country)without due regard to where they might be going. Don't think it won't happen at the domestic help level. Remember they are the ones entrusted with all your "stuff" and perhaps your most precious possesions of all. Try to keep them happy too.

Your 8000 for "household" isn't out of line (perhaps a bit on the high side compared to my 5500-6000 but everyone is different and bunches different things in that category.

We all leave our "home" for various reasons, but it's not only about money. If I'm going to live far away from family and friends, then there better be a few perks to do so for both myself and my family. Yes in some ways my life has improved (at a cost) but that's factored into being here in the first place.