PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Uniform at UK airports
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2006, 18:29
DESPERADO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The events of today have not changed my opinion one jot. I respect the views expressed by everyone here, especially those that work at the airports, and I am glad that I was able to start a polite and lively debate. If I were allowed I would happily wear my uniform at an airport/train station etc etc. I proudly wear my uniform in public whenever there is an opportunity but I won't go against the spirit of the rules that are currently in place. I just think that it is a shame that our lords and masters are not promoting the service more by encouraging more unforms in public.

It was interesting that the wearing of uniforms and marching by service personnel a gay pride marches is actively encouraged and officially sanctioned - clearly the 2 things are not the same but the gay pride marches smack of politics rather than a desire to be inclusive (perhaps this is a can of worms that I shouldn't be opening.

We need to stand up and be counted. The country is a war - perhaps now on 3 fronts - perhaps someone in military uniform at an airport/train station might actually discourage a prospective terrorist, I certainly don't see why it is likely to encourage them any more than they are already. It is time that we stopped hiding and stood out from the crowd.