PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airport Security (Merged) - Effects on Crew/Staff
Old 10th Aug 2006, 12:13
sugden

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by easyprison
I've just been reading through the talking point on the BBC website. Some of the comments there are just unreal. I think this takes 1st prize;
"So how am I supposed to take a 2 year old child on a 12 hour flight - with no activities and toys (not even a teddy bear because it isn't an essential medical requirement)?
Not being able to take passive items like coloring books is a total over-reaction.
BAA needs to make the investment in scanning technology that already exists. If they can scan checked baggage, they can scan hand luggage."

Easyprison. People like the person quoted pay the wages of those of us in the airline business. We disregard their opinions at our peril.

I strongly believe that while today's actions require a careful review of security arrangements, today's actions are knee-jerk and unnecessary.

Firstly, those who might have set of bombs (an no-one is alledging that today was their target day) are in police cells. So for today at least the threat is, bizzarely, lower than it will perhaps be tomorrow (when they one they didn't catch tries to act).

If we keep the current arrangements air travel will be curtailed and people will lose their jobs, pilots, baggage handlers, the lot.

If we improve security (more powerful scanners, twice as many of them, rigorous limits on one item of carry on per person) we might remove this particlar threat without creating fear and chaos in it's wake. Because fear and chaos represent victory for terrorism.