PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions about Cathay Pacific & Others
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2006, 01:36
Carnage Matey!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless you have the unrestricted right to live and work in the European Union (basically an EU passport) you won't get a job with an EU airline. Even if you do you'll realistically be expected to be fluent in the native language if you wanted to work for the likes of LH or KL. You'll also require a European ATPL, an FAA-ATPL won't do. I can't remember what the BA requirements are off the top of my head but realisticaly you won't have a shot at Virgin unless you have in excess of 4000 hours on passenger jets.

I'm not sure you've really done your research if you believe that:

Our air carriers are not treating their pilots as they need to i.e. skilled professionals who's training & skill is comparable to that of doctors. Comparably our payscales both entry & longterm "if you don't get furloughed" are falling behind, taxes are too high, and the cost of living vs. income potential is pathetic.
There are few airlines in Europe who treat their pilots with the level of respect of doctors and whilst you might think that US payscales are falling behind the US majors are still leading the benchmarking tables in terms of gross pay per hour flown, even with the recent pay cuts. Factor in that the cost of living in any developed area of the EU is likely to be comparable or higher than the USA, higher rate income tax is of the order of 40% on top of an additional EU wide sales tax of 17.5% and the fact that in the UK we are paying the equivalent of $7 for a US gallon of gasoline and the picture doesn't look so rosy over here.

Can't help you with any information on Cathay but I'm sure there'll be someone along soon who can.