PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 10th Aug 2006, 00:03
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Walter

Again, while I can’t absolutely discount your theory (on the use of AN/AYD-1 Personal Locator System), for it to be valid would require the AN/ARS-6(V) in the aircraft to have been pre-loaded with the unique crypto ID of the actual AN/PRC-112s borne by the troops on the ground. And unless the Mk2 was already fitted with a broadband UHF homing system (and few a/c were in 94), and the matched antennae feeders could be used by AN/ARS-6(V), then the sudden appearance of two very obvious UHF homing blades on the airframe would be very noticeable. And, to avoid a hefty mod and pretty extensive trials, these pre-existing antennae would have to be already configured such that one was shared with a UHF radio, and the Tx/Rx positioned more or less precisely where the UHF Homer was. This, in addition to the reasons I gave recently, is simply too much to keep hidden all these years. An awful lot of work involving at least four contractors, and in 1993/4 at least seven departments across MoD, must go into such an installation design to reach the stage where one pitches up and plugs ARS-6 in as a role mod.

Sorry mate, it’s technically feasible but in my opinion extremely unlikely. Taken with categorical assurances from people who were there (Aldergrove) that ZD576 wasn’t AYD-1 enabled, I think you have to accept there are easier ways to discredit the verdict. The difficult thing is persuading the MoD to be honourable in the face of factual evidence.