PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cx vs. US
Thread: Cx vs. US
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2006, 20:34
Captain_Morgan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Curious About Cathay Pacific..?? And Others..!!

Hello everyone,

I am curious about Cathay Pacific and how they are overall as a company to work for in general.

I should also add that I am currently a student and working towards my ATPL here in the US. I am currently attending Embry-Riddle University and UTAH Valley State College concurrently, and I will be getting (2) B.S. degrees in aeronautical science, one is theoretical and the other is a practical degree, however both with aviation emphasis. I should be graduating in June 2007, additionally with Honors and a 3.85-3.95 G.P.A

As for flight school I am attending an Ab Initio training program via Rainbow Air Academy in Long Beach, CA. With this program I will get 1500+ hrs of which 500hrs is Multi-Turbo-Prop time, of course the T-Prop time is completed via Ameriflight which as I know is questionable experience depending on which aircraft you fly, however, I am pulling for the Metroliner. Regardless though I will get my 1500hrs and all the ratings up too my FAA-ATPL. Oh I also failed to mention I will have around 200hrs extra (SIC) Multi T-Prop time in the King Air B200, so I will actually have around 1700+ hours when I start shooting my resume around. Additionally I should have about 10-15hrs Dual Jet time in a L-29... "Not really applicable though I guess"

I hope to have everything completed sometime around September-December 2007 and be ready to begin the perils of the application process.

So now for what I am looking for from some of you experts and working pilots here is...."HELP" and of course some good insight to the playing field.

I am quite frankly only interested in working for Foreign Carriers, unless I can get in with Fed-Ex, UPS or ABX.... Why. Because the US economy and job market is currently very poor, and our economy is not showing any signs of near or long-term improvement. Our air carriers are not treating their pilots as they need to i.e. skilled professionals who's training & skill is comparable to that of doctors. Comparably our pay scales both entry & long-term "if you don't get furloughed" are falling behind, taxes are too high, and the cost of living vs. income potential is pathetic. I guess to sum it up very briefly currently in the US there are way to many variables, and our air carrier industry truly needs to be subsidized in which our government can not afford to do, or so they say.

So anyone who can provide me with a good idea of what I can expect and which carriers I should look into that would be a good choice for my level of experience at the time of application, again around 1700hrs. 500-700 T-Prop mostly (SIC), 800-1000hrs (PIC) in your basic GA aircraft, and BS degree with honors.

I am very interested in Cathay Pacific as I have heard many good things about their pay scales and benefit packages, additionally Asia is an up and coming economy, also Air Emirates, Lufthansa, KLM, and any other foreign carriers which could be recommended. Any information or advice will be greatly appreciated and well noted...!

With my school I also have a good chance of getting hired with EVA Air, of course via their cargo division first, so anyone with info about EVA beyond the basic stuff which I know would be great.

Another question I have about Cathay Pacific is should I go for the S/O slot or the F/O slot being I think my experience will qualify for the F/O, but the S/O is in passenger vs. the F/O is cargo, do you still have to move through cargo if you go the S/O route.??

Well sorry for the long winded post but I am looking for some good info so I thought I should be thorough in my explanation of my situation and desires. I am a ways off from getting my wings wet, but I want to choose the right direction and be prepared when I do..

Thanks For Your Input or Advice..!!