PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is tailwheel time an advantage?
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2006, 20:04
Wombat35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For my two cents...

I only currently instruct on tailwheels, my students vary in experience from 60 - 2000hrs and I thought I would have a chat to some of the commercial types to ask them what benefits flying a tailwheel has brought them.

I got a couple of interesting responses. Bear in mind that I'm talking about a Citabria in particular as I own one.

It surprised me that the main benefit was that they enjoyed the attitude flying and the responsiveness of the aircraft.

Next was, that they enjoyed the challenge of the tailwheel. You cannot plonk down a wheeler so you have to on your game for every single landing.

Lastly, they felt that it improved their situational awareness and airmanship, I encourage tight circuits 12+ an hour as we are only really focussing on the last 300' and that means that we are always overtaking Cessna's and cutting off twins etc... and they enjoyed the challenge of thinking about other aircraft in the circuit.

So that might help sway you, although I think you're already sold on the fire spotting stuff. I can strongly recommend doing you Champion rating with Curtis, at Camden. I think they do fire spotting as well…. You need to be taught tail dragging correctly or it will end in .

I can't stress that enough.

Cheers

Wombat 35