PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA IR Courses (including Converting FAA IR to JAA IR (Merged)
Old 9th Aug 2006, 16:29
BaronG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thecontroller
so the North Sea employers dont give a toss that you have > 1000 hours? they are happy to take some 200 hour numpty
this industry is f**ked up
Well f**ked up might be a bit strong but yes, min. hours guys have been hired with an IR in preference to 1000 hour civvy guys without a JAA IR (having an FAA IR doesn't seem to make a difference...).

I think that piston time (instruction basically) isn't considered very worthwhile by a lot of these companies plus without a JAA IR, they consider it a risk that you may not be up to the job, so they don't want to pay. They're probably right.

It would help to have a conditional job offer before laying down more cash but that doesn't seem to be a common thing either...At least one company seems reluctant to let you do the psychometric + sim tests without an IR (understandable of course!) so they can't offer you a job.

But my overriding feeling from this is that it depends who you talk to and when you catch them. Right time + right place = job (as always). The HR departments aren't able to understand the issues - presumably they aren't pilots themselves - they just look for ticks in the right boxes - JAA CPL + IR = interview (probably at the moment anyway), anything else = no interview.

The only people who can make decisions on the basis of experience are the Chief Pilots and equivalents, who are snowed under, since they're one person doing their normal "day job" and getting bugged by hopefuls on the phone and email all day...

I guess this means the low hours guys with the right ticks get through, higher hours but with missing tick in JAA IR box get nowhere through the official HR system.

BG