PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile phone signal interference... all lies??
Old 9th Aug 2006, 16:23
fyrefli
The Analog Kid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 411A
>>Something else to add. GPS landing systems will be comming into vogue more and more. GPS radio waves operate around the 1 - 2 Gigahertz range which is close to the mobile phone frequency.<<
Dunno if it's close to the GPS frequency or not, but this was tried as well on my little un-scientific test.
If have two different GPS receivers on board and neither were bothered in the slightest.
Perhaps just lucky...
Times I've accidentally left my mobile on in my flight deck (which in this case is a handy little bum-bag style thing for carrying one's instruments with velcro on the top for in-flight use!) I've not noted a GPS problem. Not heard any other free flyers note it either. Variometers, OTOH, go absolutely nuts, becoming completely unusable. In fact it's normally the first sign one has left one's mobile on. Makes it bloody hard to thermal!

It would obviously not be surprising if the instruments on commercial aircraft were rather better shielded but it's concerning all the same.

Like many, I also don't want to be in a cabin with people on their mobiles for air rage minimisation reasons!

Cheers,

Rich.