PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Low paid pilots from UK
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2001, 17:23
ex-expat

Wink

Well Guv,
Don't worry you want to work for less, and I am sure you will. That is at least one thing I know about economics.

I've worked for two of those companies you sited; the employees didn't fail in their jobs, managment did. If the pilots had worked for free we would still be out of business. I (and a good many others) took my valauble skills and abilities and sold them somewhere else. Took the proceeds and purchased assets, not liabilities. Some years the assets made more than I did flying. I would fly for some desperate operator for three months at $15,000. Brits were willing to do the same job for $5,000 and a pat on the head. Now those same people are in the desert, doing the same job still, years later for $5,000! They will always be surfs, much like I suspect you are.

In the book "Winning Through Intimidation," the art of the deal is always being able to walk away. If you can't do that you can't deal, you're a slave. You can't be helped, but I hope some of your country men will not be jealous of the salaries of the few, but be inspired. It's out there, but they don't give it away for free. Warmest regards Guv, and good luck in your old age, you're going to need it.