PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hot flight
Thread: Hot flight
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2006, 11:55
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
As we don't know the details, may I offer a [I]possible[I] comparison ... three years ago yesterday (8th August 2003) I was booked on Concorde LHR~JFK.

It was one of the hottest days on record for the UK, the next day was an all time record of (IIRC) 100F. The departure times was late afternoon and the machine was good and hot. This gave a particular difficulty for the crew as Concorde had no APU. Due to weight limitations, she was designed for ground Air Con only. There was cart hooked up but the giant flexible tube carrying the cooled air had to snake across the ground to reach the machine and it was not insulated.

However, there was a technical fault so they kept us in the lounge for as long as possible. After boarding, it was very hot even WITH the ground air cart running. Then the tech delay extended ...

The Captain explained to us that the problem was expected to be fixed in minutes but, as these things can turn out, it was half an hour. He apologised that it was taking so long and that to get us off almost invited that the problem would be fixed as soon as we had done so.

Almost everyone was patient as the sweat streamed off us, some started to complain. I cannot recall how long we were in that situation but about 45 minutes, I should say. Crew were brilliant and I could understand their approach when the engineers are saying (in effect) "This will be fixed in just a minute" and then it wasn't.

As to this event under discussion, we can only hope that the carrier and ground staff learnt a big lesson.