PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Golden Egg may be Goosed
View Single Post
Old 9th Aug 2006, 10:22
max autobrakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People read between the lines. It's obvious isn't it?.
JetStar is nothing but a short term business model at best ,designed to kill off the last vestiges of public service grandious type awards in Qantas.
( Management's sentiments not mine).

What will happen once the last protected EBA's in Qantas expire, which for most unions (assuming another 3 year stint) will be sometime around 2009. Come 90 days after expiry of those EBA's guess what ?You will all be hit with JetStar agreements.
Why do you think the 787's are going to JetStar first.
Why replace the A330's so quickly?
Why do you think the Qantas management have concocted this Australian Airlines Wet Leasing company abomination?
That will be the legal precedence used to trigger the use of contract crews flying 787 in Qantas colours.

If I was JetStar crew I wouldn't be crowing too loudly either.
Because once Qantas management have everyone working at indentured labour rates guess what? The chances are JetStar will all of a sudden be shown not to be returning a sufficient rate of return on the invested capital and in all probability be rebrand/absorbed back into Qantas, a name brand recognised throughout the world.
Once that has been achieved what do you think will happen with the excess of pilots now vying for a limited number of places?
You guessed it , Qantas will be able to employ the best and reject the rest.
As a friend in Qantas told me, 100% of Qantas pilots have passed the stringent Qantas pilot application procedures.
How many of JetStar's pilots have managed to pass?

Last edited by max autobrakes; 9th Aug 2006 at 10:35.