PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Flight 93, What actually happened ? [somewhat edited by JT]
Old 9th Aug 2006, 03:27
SUPERMNNN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transponder signals again:

I couldn't give up on this two signals. Even if the transponder switched on by itself, or some kind of malfunction. It must gave out ID signal and altitude, so the control center could spotted it. The altitude 6400 ft and 59 or 5800 ft should be the correct height at the time of the signal was transmitted. (from Tom Brokaw's interview with an air controler who was on duty watching flight 93 at the time.)

This is the reason I asked for the transponder, Gary. You do need to have a transponder to get into airport airspace, don't you? In order to avoid traffic accident, to arrange landing with the ATC, do you need to send in your id and altitude? If an airport doesn't have a control tower, does it mean that there is no ATC?

As a pilot, before landing, do you check your tranponder to make sure it is on or not? Can ATC allow you to land without a transponder?

The airport I showed you is an airport 6 miles west (a little bit north) of the crash site, Somerset County Airport. The runway direction is that you have to land from N.E to S.W, I believe.

The debris fields were three islated locations. If the wind blow light debris 8 miles south, we should see a scattering debris field like a quarter of a circle (maybe a slice of pizza shaped), centered at the crash site. Isolated fields tell you that the debris were directly fall from the plane, which would give you the path of the plane, it didn't matter what caused the debris, as long as they were directly fall from the plane.

If you look at these locations on the map: draw a line from Cleveland OH to Washington DC (Flight 93 was moving from Cleveland towards DC before the crash). Then if you look at New Baltimore PA, Indian Lake PA, the crash site, doesn't it tell you that Flight 93 flying towards DC, then turned around, passed New Baltimore, Indian Lake, then crashed on Shanksville? Then you add this airport on the map. What does it tell you? As a professional pilot? Do the two tranponder signals make sense?

For this airport
http://www.airnav.com/airport/2G9/A

Then add the fact that there were one professional commercial pilot on flight 93 and an air traffic controler as passengers.

No fictional speculations (only some assumptions supported by facts and calculations.)