PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - United Flight 93, What actually happened ? [somewhat edited by JT]
Old 8th Aug 2006, 18:34
SUPERMNNN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 20driver
http://www.popularmechanics.com/scie...tml?page=1&c=y

The site has an excellent debunking of several 911 myths including a clear statement from the Somerset County corner that no human remains were found in Indian lake which is only 1.5 miles from the crash site.

20driver
Thank you 20driver.

Engines were the reason which get me started. I don't believe the conspiracy theory. The solid reason for me to search by myself is that the engines can not be burned, can not be lost, they are big pieces of high strength alloy, each weights two tone(?). The following is from Popular Mechanics:

CLAIM: One of Flight 93's engines was found "at a considerable distance from the crash site," according to Lyle Szupinka, a state police officer on the scene who was quoted in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Offering no evidence, a posting on Rense.com claimed: "The main body of the engine ... was found miles away from the main wreckage site with damage comparable to that which a heat-seeking missile would do to an airliner."

FACT: Experts on the scene tell PM that a fan from one of the engines was recovered in a catchment basin, downhill from the crash site. Jeff Reinbold, the National Park Service representative responsible for the Flight 93 National Memorial, confirms the direction and distance from the crash site to the basin: just over 300 yards south, which means the fan landed in the direction the jet was traveling. "It's not unusual for an engine to move or tumble across the ground," says Michael K. Hynes, an airline accident expert who investigated the crash of TWA Flight 800 out of New York City in 1996. "When you have very high velocities, 500 mph or more," Hynes says, "you are talking about 700 to 800 ft. per second. For something to hit the ground with that kind of energy, it would only take a few seconds to bounce up and travel 300 yards." Numerous crash analysts contacted by PM concur.

Unfortunately, the ground was soft grassy area, next to a dirt road.
http://thewebfairy.com/911/93/ (this picture is consistant with pictures released by government)

The crater shows that where the wing touched the ground was away from the dirty road. 500mph, hiting soft ground, the engine fan (note the original report was a whole engine) tumbled for 300 yards.

I suppose you all know that for a Boeing 757 -222, the engines are way ahead of the wings.

Only reason I can think of for the engine or fan to tumble is to hit something else very hard, a rock or the other part of the plane. But again with 500mph HEAD ON, a speed as fast as a .38 bullet, you have to do more explaination than: "For something to hit the ground with that kind of energy, it would only take a few seconds to bounce up and travel 300 yards." You have to show me how could it bounce up with that kind of velocity first, preferablly a calculation.

This is the only engine (or engine fan) evidence I can find. Nobody talked about the other engine.