PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Dubai monthly expediture
View Single Post
Old 8th Aug 2006, 12:44
Schnowzer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oobs,

On the maids, I am sorry, I suppose it beats the my dads bigger than yours argument. Believe it or not, I was trying to be conservative and aim low. I wasn't supporting any arguement and have no agenda, just stating what I spend.

The EK deal at NAD is a good deal if you play mainly 5 day social golf, with the golf course subservient to the racing. The blatant cheating from some sections of the membership makes it less attractive to most serious competition golfers. I am about to sound like a prick but what the heck, golf is my thing; I personally don't enjoy playing a quirky layout fitted into a race course that closes pretty often and the range etc disappear when the DWC is on.

So how much does golf alone cost. Single member at Ranches is 9k plus carts, comps etc; works out at over 12k and is going to be increased. Single at Emirates 20k/Family 26k. Single at Monty I believe in high teens, family mid 20s. Al Badia, off the planet. So actually I thought I was being very conservative. If you don't want to do the race track, golf in Dubai will cost at least 12k but more likely about 20k+ when carts, comps etc are added in. By the way thats without having a reload and doesn't include the joining fees which are significant.

I live on one of the new developments, kids at school in Jumeira, wife works in Deira, spend over an hour and a half in the car every day. That takes care of the gas. (I didn't include my mortgage, utils, service charge etc because unless you take the allowance that is not representative of all pilots)

I don't eat 8,000, that was for food and household. This year all the EK white goods have gone kaput and need replacing. The house needs looking after etc.

So when you say more 'common' figures with golf as the example, NAD is actually the exception to the rule precisely because it is a race track with a golf course. If you live out you will fill the cars up every 5 days on average. And yes running the house costs more than just stuffing my over sized tummy with fillet steak.

Hope that helps,

Schnowzer